Saturday, 4 April 2015

My definitions of rainbows

Some people have been asking me what is the meaning of 'I don't chase rainbows. Rainbows chase me.' Well, I do have a story behind that. Wait for it *wink*. I don't remember exactly when I came up with that phrase. Probably 7-8 years ago when I started blogging. I started with xanga.com and then moved to blogspot.com because most of my friends were on blogger. However, I noticed that my pool of blogger friends are shrinking now. I supposed they pulled off the plug like I did a few years back. Note to friends: please plug your blog on again and start writing. I'm lonely here!

Back to the rainbows phrase. Well, I've always been inspired by rainbows. When I was a child, I was surrounded by rainbow-ish cartoon characters and books like Care Bears, My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, Barbie, Polly Pockets, Jem and the Hologram, Strawberry Shortcake, Smurfs and the like. Hands up if you remember those TV shows!

Photo taken from here.


I was pretty much a girlie kind of girl (the Disney princess-y type). I grew up with two younger sisters. So, most of our toys were pink and doll-houses, teapot & cups type. I don't remember having a gun or plastic soldiers in my toy box XD. My baby brother came later when I was in high school. By that time, my characteristics and personality have been pretty much shaped up to be on the feminine side.

Thus, because of my childhood, I think I'm stuck with the idea that rainbows will always give you joy  and solve your problems like how Care Bears and Rainbow Brite fight monsters with their rainbow dust (or sprinkles or whatever they call it). Now that I am an adult, I still believe rainbows give joy and happiness. Most importantly, rainbows to me mean, HOPE.

I googled about rainbows and found some interesting quotes from famous authors:



“Life throws challenges and every challenge comes with rainbows and lights to conquer it.” ― Amit RayWorld Peace: The Voice of a Mountain Bird

“[Iris] squeezed his hand. "Don't lose hope, Frank. Rainbows always stand for hope.” ― Rick RiordanThe Son of Neptune

“Love was a feeling completely bound up with color, like thousands of rainbows superimposed one on top of the other.” ― Paulo Coelho

“After every storm, there is a rainbow. If you have eyes, you will find it. If you have wisdom, you will create it. If you have love for yourself and others, you won’t need it.” ― Shannon L. Alder

“May your journey through life be vibrant and full of colorful rainbows.” ― Harley King

“Rainbows introduce us to reflections
of different beautiful possibilities
so we never forget that pain and grief
are not the final options in life.” 

“Shine your soul with the same 
egoless humility as the rainbow 
and no matter where you go 
in this world or the next, 
love will find you, attend you, and bless you.” 
― AberjhaniJourney through the Power of the Rainbow: Quotations from a Life Made Out of Poetry



Take a look at the last stanza of Aberjhani's poem. Notice how the last line said, "Love will find you, attend you, and bless you."

That is what 'I don't chase rainbows. Rainbows chase me' means. A wise person once told me, "Just be yourself. Do everything with passion and sincerity. Don't go chasing after waterfalls. If you are sincere in your heart, all the good things will come your way."

In other words, just do what you love with a pure heart. If you do what you love, money will look for you, jobs will look for you, people will look for you. I'm not saying it's going to be easy. Hardship may come. But because you do things out of passion, love and sincerity, you will have patience in your heart too. Now, who needs to chase things when things will come knocking on your door?

*wink*

Photo taken from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment